Tokyo Ravens season 2 will not happen unless the anime made a profit and there is enough source material for a second season left. So if there was no profit or material left, then one season is all the Tokyo Ravens franchise will have.
So, in this article, we will look at the source material left for the second season. And the profit that the Tokyo Ravens anime adaptation made. That will tell us if Tokyo Ravens season 2 will happen and a possible release date for it.
Tokyo Ravens season 2 episode 1 is something that many fans have been waiting for since 2014. And after reading this short but in-depth post, it will be clear to people if there will be a Tokyo Ravens season 2 and the release date.
Tokyo Ravens Season 2 Source Material Information
For the Tokyo Ravens anime, the source material is a light novel. And here is all the information that we need for Tokyo Ravens Season 2.
It will tell us if there is enough source material for a second season. It’s important because that could prevent the sequel and the release date from happening.
- Is the Tokyo Ravens light novel finished? – The Tokyo Ravens light novel is still ongoing. The author, Kōhei Azano (Black Blood Brothers), released the latest volume on October 20, 2018.
- How many volumes does Tokyo Ravens have? – In Japan, Tokyo Ravens has 16 light novel volumes published. There are also six manga series, but most are side stories or spin-offs. Only the first manga was an adaptation of the anime and had eight books.
- What is the release speed of the Tokyo Ravens Light Novels? – In 2017 and 2018, the author released only one new volume per year. There was no new volume in 2019 or 2020, and there are no words about volume 17.
- Which light novels does the anime of Tokyo Ravens cover? – The first season of the Tokyo Ravens anime, produced in 2014 by Studio 8bit, used volumes 1 to 9. That’s a lot because it should be 6 to 8 volumes for an average two cour adaptation.
- How many copies are in print? – I can’t find the number of copies in print of Tokyo Ravens. I’d assume there are at least 500,000 copies in print.
The Tokyo Ravens light novels by Kadokawa Shoten are still getting published. The story has not ended yet, and volume 10 picks up where the anime left off. So there are no problems other than no new volume for the past three years.
There are seven light novels available for Tokyo Ravens Season 2. That’s fewer books left to adapt for Tokyo Ravens Season 2 than for sequels like Re:Zero Season 3 or Konosuba Season 3. Still, the source material will not be a problem.
SUMMARY: Tokyo Ravens Season 2 will not have a shortage of source material. There’s enough for one more season if it’s adapted without skipping stuff.
Tokyo Ravens Sales & Profit Information
We need to check if the Tokyo Ravens anime adaptation was profitable and how well the series is doing in sales. If the anime failed to make a good profit, there would be no second season and no release date.
We will look at Blu-Ray sales, light novel sales, and merchandise numbers.
That will tell us enough. After that, we will know if the anime made enough profit for Tokyo Ravens Season 2.
- Blu-Ray Sales for Tokyo Ravens Anime – Tokyo Ravens sold around 2,250 copies per Blu-Ray in Japan. This anime series also got a BD-Box that sold 400 copies. The Blu-Ray sales aren’t looking good for the sequel’s chances.
- Light Novel Sales for Tokyo Ravens – Volume 15 sold around 23,000 copies in Japan, and volume 16 sold 20,000. Selling about 20,000 copies per volume is okay but not ideal for a series with an anime adaptation.
- Figurines Numbers for Tokyo Ravens – There are no figurines available for Tokyo Ravens. That means there are no Natsume or Harutora figurines for sale. It’s unusual to come across a series with 0 figures.
- Merchandise Numbers for Tokyo Ravens – About 40 items are available. A successful anime adaptation should have at least 200-300 pieces of merchandise. As a result, goods are scarce.
- Tokyo Ravens Streaming – The international rights to this series went to Funimation. Tokyo Ravens also streamed on Hulu, Crunchyroll, and some other platforms. Streaming wasn’t big in 2014, so Tokyo Ravens didn’t make much money from that.
- Tokyo Ravens in China – The Chinese Ministry of Culture banned Tokyo Ravens. It was among 38 anime and manga titles banned in 2015. That means it’s not making any money from one of the biggest anime markets.
The Tokyo Ravens Blu-Ray and merchandise did not much much profit. The light novels are okay but not the best, and there are no figurines available for this franchise. So the anime adaptation didn’t make a profit for Kadokawa and the production committee.
I’m not going to share the rest because they usually don’t make a lot of money.
But there are also other ways the Tokyo Ravens anime made money. The soundtrack, ending/opening songs, and online radio. Then there’s streaming in Japan, some collaborations, and more.
SUMMARY: Sales and profit will be a big problem for Tokyo Ravens Season 2. The Tokyo Ravens series did not make a profit even lose some money from the anime adaptation.
Will Tokyo Ravens have a Season 2?
Tokyo Ravens got only one season, and that’s all it will ever have. So, no, Tokyo Ravens Season 2 episode 1, a movie, or OVA will not happen. So, the odds of Tokyo Ravens Season 2 getting a release date are low.
And thanks to this article, we now know It’s because the anime adaptation did not make a good profit for Tokyo Ravens.
Also, the Tokyo Ravens series is most likely going to end soon. That’s why I won’t give the season 2 of Tokyo Ravens a 0% chance of getting announced.
Because, thanks to streaming, most anime series can make some profit. And even less popular series are getting sequels. Also, the Studio 8bit that worked on Tokyo Ravens’ first season is still in the anime business.
They are now working on the TenSura anime. So if the story ends with volume 17 or 18 and one more season would finish it. Then I can see a tiny chance for Tokyo Ravens Season 2.
I will update this post in 2022, and we will see. You can also check the official Tokyo Ravens Twitter account for updates. But, I would recommend reading light novels if they get ever translated.
That’s most likely the only way to finish the story since there is no manga.
CONCLUSION: Tokyo Ravens season 2 announcement chances are close to zero. So there won’t be a release date. A second season would only happen if Kadokawa felt charitable to complete the story, as this article explains.
Are you interested in any other sequels?
If so, then you should look into the anime-continue category. You can find information about many sequels there. No Game No Life Season 2, Overlord Season 4, and Goblin Slayer Season 2 are a few examples.
Also, don’t forget to share this post with other Tokyo Ravens fans!