Jujutsu Kaisen season 2 will not happen unless the anime made a profit and there is enough source material for a second season left. So if there was no profit or material left, then one season and a movie are all Jujutsu Kaisen will have.
So, in this article, we will look at the source material left for the second season. And the profit that the Jujutsu Kaisen anime adaptation made. That will tell us if Jujutsu Kaisen season 2 will happen and the possible release date.
Jujutsu Kaisen season 2 episode 1 is something many fans have been waiting for since 2021. And after reading this short but in-depth post, it will be clear to people if there will be a Jujutsu Kaisen season 2 and the release date.
Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2 Source Material Information
For the Jujutsu Kaisen anime, the source material is manga. And here is all the information that we need for Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2.
It will tell us if there is enough source material for a second season. It’s important because that could prevent the sequel and the release date from happening.
- Is the Jujutsu Kaisen manga finished? – Jujutsu Kaisen is still an ongoing series in 2021. The author, Gege Akutami released the latest volume on June 4, 2021.
- How many volumes does Jujutsu Kaisen have? – In Japan, Jujutsu Kaisen has 16 manga volumes published. There are also two light novel volumes, titled Soaring Summer and Returning Autumn and The Path of Roses at Dawn.
- What is the release speed of the Jujutsu Kaisen manga? – The author does release about four new manga volumes per year. That’s how it’s been for the past three years.
- Which manga volumes does the anime of Jujutsu Kaisen cover? – The first season of the Jujutsu Kaisen anime, by studio MAPPA, used volumes 1 to 7. The movie Jujutsu Kaisen 0 will adapt prequel volume 0.
- How many copies are in print? – Jujutsu Kaisen has 50.000.000 copies in print of the manga as of 05/2021. That puts it within the top 30 best-selling manga of all time.
The Jujutsu Kaisen manga by Shueisha is still getting published. The story has not ended yet, and volume 8 picks up where the anime left off. So there are no problems with the source material.
There are eight manga volumes available for Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2. That’s more books left to adapt for Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2 than for sequels like Overlord Season 4 or No Game No Life Season 2. As a result, the source material will not be a problem.
SUMMARY: Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2 will not have a shortage of source material. There’s enough for at least one more season.
Jujutsu Kaisen Sales And Profit Information
We need to check if the Jujutsu Kaisen anime adaptation was profitable and how well the series is doing in sales. If the anime failed to make a good profit, there would be no second season and no release date.
We will look at Blu-Ray sales, manga sales, and merchandise numbers. There is also the movie box office.
That will tell us enough. After that, we will know if the anime made enough profit for Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2.
- Blu-Ray Sales for Jujutsu Kaisen Anime – Jujutsu Kaisen sold around 25,000 copies per Blu-Ray in Japan. This anime series didn’t get a BD-Box yet. Anything above 5,000 is excellent in 2021, so the numbers for Jujutsu Kaisen are crazy.
- Manga Sales for Jujutsu Kaisen Anime – Volume 15 sold around 3,000,000 copies in Japan, and volume 16 also sold above 3,000,000 copies. Not many series can sell above 3m copies per volume. Only One Piece and Demon Slayer did sell more per volume.
- Figurines Numbers for Jujutsu Kaisen – There are 110 figurines available. Jujutsu Kaisen is a recent series, so that’s impressive. I have no doubt it will be more than 300 in just a few months.
- Merchandise Numbers for Jujutsu Kaisen – About 6300 items are available. It’s been only seven months since the anime started for this series. And it already has more merchandise than even more popular series get in a lifetime.
- Box Office for the Jujutsu Kaisen 0 Movie – The movie will be screen in December in Japan. So I will update this later. I won’t be surprised if it’s close to 8 to 10 billion yen.
- Jujutsu Kaisen Streaming – The international rights to this series went to Crunchyroll. For a massive series like this, the streaming alone will pay for the whole budget of the anime and make some profit.
This series already made more money than most series do in a lifetime. It’s not doing Demon Slayer numbers, but it’s not that far away, and that’s crazy. So the anime adaptation made a massive profit for Shueisha and the production committee.
I’m not going to share the rest because they usually don’t make a lot of money.
But there are also other ways the Jujutsu Kaisen anime made money. The Soundtrack, ending and openings songs, various collaborations, and more.
SUMMARY: Sales and profit won’t be a problem for Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2. Jujutsu Kaisen’s profit was massive from the anime adaptation.
Will There Be Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2
I would say with 99% probability that there will be Jujutsu Kaisen season 2 announced after the Jujutsu Kaisen 0 Movie they just announced. I will not be surprised if they tease or even announce another season in the movie credits.
If I had to take a guess, I would say the second season release date will be in 2023. If MAPPA is super busy, it could be even later, considering how many series they work on. I doubt it will be sooner than that
I hope this article helped you understand the chances of Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2 getting announced in 2021.
Are you interested in any other sequels?
If so, then you should look into the anime-continue category. You can find information about many sequels there. Classroom of The Elite Season 2, Re:Zero Season 3, and Made in Abyss Season 2 are a few examples.
Also, don’t forget to share this post with other Jujutsu Kaisen fans!