Youjo Senki season 2 will not happen unless the anime made a profit and there is enough source material for a second season left. So if there was no profit or material left, then one season, two ONA, and a movie are all Youjo Senki will have.
So, in this article, we will look at the source material left for the second season. And the profit that the Youjo Senki anime adaptation made. That will tell us if Youjo Senki season 2 will happen and the possible release date.
Youjo Senki season 2 episode 1 is something many fans have been waiting for since 2017. And after reading this short but in-depth post, it will be clear to people if there will be a Youjo Senki season 2 and the release date.
Youjo Senki Season 2 Source Material Information
For the Youjo Senki anime, the source material is a light novel. And here is all the information that we need for Youjo Senki Season 2.
It will tell us if there is enough source material for a second season. It’s important because that could prevent the sequel and the release date from happening.
- Is the Youjo Senki light novel finished? – The Youjo Senki light novel is still ongoing. The author Carlo Zen released the latest volume On February 20, 2020.
- How many volumes does Youjo Senki have? – In Japan, Youjo Senki has 12 light novel volumes published. There is also a manga for The Saga of Tanya the Evil that currently has 21 volumes published.
- What is the release speed of the Youjo Senki Light Novels? – The author wrote two books in 2018 and one in 2019. In 2020, there was only one new volume for the light novel. But, there are four to five new volumes of manga every year.
- Which light novels does the anime of Youjo Senki cover? – The first season of the Youjo Senki anime, by studio Nut, used volumes 1 to 3. The Saga of Tanya the Evil movie used the whole book 4.
- How many copies are in print? – As of 05/2020, Youjo Senki had 6.500.000 copies in print. That puts it within the top 50 best-selling light novels of all time.
The Youjo Senki light novels by Enterbrain are still getting published. The story has not ended yet, and volume 5 picks up where the anime left off. So there are no problems other than the slow publishing speed.
There are eight light novels available for Saga of Tanya Season 2. That’s fewer books left to adapt for Saga of Tanya Season 2 than for sequels like Konosuba Season 3, but more than One Punch Man Season 3. As a result, the source material will not be a problem.
SUMMARY: Saga of Tanya Season 2 will not have a shortage of source material. There’s enough for at least two more seasons.
Youjo Senki Season 2 Sales & Profit Information
We need to check if the Youjo Senki anime adaptation was profitable and how well the series is doing in sales. If the anime failed to make a good profit, there would be no second season and no release date.
We will look at Blu-Ray sales, light novel sales, manga sales, and merchandise numbers. Of course, there is also the movie box office.
That will tell us enough. After that, we will know if the anime made enough profit for Youjo Senki Season 2.
- Blu-Ray Sales for Youjo Senki Anime – Youjo Senki sold around 7,100 copies per Blu-Ray in Japan. This series never received a BD-Box. For 2017 and a niche series like Youjo Senki, I would say that it is impressive.
- Light Novel Sales for Youjo Senki – Volume 11 sold around 25,000 copies in Japan, and volume 12 sold about 22,000. Selling 25,000 copies per volume is excellent for a series like this since the military genre isn’t that hot.
- Manga Sales for Youjo Senki – Volume 20 sold around 70,000 copies in Japan, and volume 21 sold about 22,000 in the first week, and after that, it didn’t rank. After a few weeks, the previous volumes sold 100,000 copies, so I’m assuming these volumes did as well. It’s a pretty good number for a series like this.
- Figurines Numbers for Youjo Senki – Nineteen figures are available for Youjo Senki, and all of them are just Tanya. I was expecting that Viktoriya would have at least one. 19 is fine for one cour anime adaptation.
- Merchandise Numbers for Youjo Senki – About 180 items are available. Normally, I’d consider this a decent number, but in the case of The Saga of Tanya the Evil, you could say it’s excellent. It’s a niche series with only one popular character, so it’s limited in what kind of merchandise it can get.
- Box Office for the Youjo Senki Movie – The box office for the Youjo Senki was 400,000,000 yen. That’s 3,5 million dollars. The film also sold about 20,000 Blu-Ray copies in Japan. An average anime movie costs approximately 1 to 1,5 million dollars to produce, so the box-office is excellent.
Youjo Senki’s anime Blu-Ray sold well. The light novels and manga are doing decently. And for a niche series, there is also a good amount of merchandise. The movie did well in the box-office and BD sales. So the anime adaptation made a profit for Kadokawa and the production committee.
I’m not going to share the rest because they usually don’t make a lot of money.
But there are also other ways the Youjo Senki anime made money. The Soundtrack (OST), ending/openings songs, mobile game. Then there is an international license for Crunchyroll, streaming, Isekai Quartet, and more.
Also, if you are curious, I have collected the same information for plenty of other anime sequels. Like Noragami Season 3, Kenja No Mago Season 2, Akatsuki No Yona Season 2, and Goblin Slayer Season 2.
SUMMARY: Sales and profit won’t be a problem for Youjo Senki Season 2. Youjo Senki made a lot of money from the anime adaptation even while it’s a niche series.
Will There Be Youjo Senki Season 2
There is a good chance that Youjo Senki season 2 will be announced this or next year. The information in this article shows that Youjo Senki isn’t a giant money-making machine, but it’s doing well for a niche series.
There is no reason for Kadokawa and the production committee not to do at least one more season.
The Isekai Quartet crossover is doing well, and one more season would still be profitable. So I think we will hear something about Youjo Senki season 2 in the next two years. Don’t expect it to air in 2021. The best we will get is an announcement.
UPDATE FOR YOUJO SENKI SEASON 2 Youjo Senki season 2 was announced on 19th June. There is no release date for Youjo Senki Season 2 yet. Studio Nut will be doing season 2 of Youjo Senki.
Are you interested in any other sequels?
Also, don’t forget to share this post with other Youjo Senki fans!