No Game No Life season 2 will not happen unless the anime made a profit and there is enough source material for a second season left. So if there was no profit or material left, then one season and a movie are all No Game No Life will have.
So, in this article, we will look at the source material left for the second season. And the profit that the No Game No Life anime adaptation made. That will tell us if No Game No Life season 2 will happen and the possible release date.
No Game No Life season 2 episode 1 is something many fans have been waiting for since 2014. And after reading this short but in-depth post, it will be clear to people if there will be a No Game No Life season 2 and the release date.
No Game No Life Season 2 Source Material Information
For the No Game No Life anime, the source material is a light novel. And here is all the information that we need for No Game No Life Season 2.
It will tell us if there is enough source material for a second season. It’s important because that could prevent the sequel and the release date from happening.
- Is the No Game No Life light novel finished? – The No Game No Life light novel is still ongoing. The author, Yuu Kamiya (Clockwork Planet), released the latest volume on January 25, 2018
- How many volumes does No Game No Life have? – In Japan, No Game No Life has ten light novel volumes published. There is also two manga for this series. The first is the anime in a manga format and the second manga is a spin-off.
- What is the release speed of the No Game No Life Light Novels? – The author released only one book from 2016 to 2018 per year. For the past three years, there have been no new volumes for this series.
- Which light novels does the anime of No Game No Life cover? – The first season of the No Game No Life anime, by the studio Madhouse, used volumes 1 to 3. The No Game No Life Zero movie used the whole book 6.
- How many copies are in print? – As of 02/2018, No Game No Life had 4.500.000 copies in print. That puts it within the top 50 best-selling light novels of all time.
The No Game No Life light novels by MF Bunko J are still getting published. The story has not ended yet, and volume 4 picks up where the anime left off. So there are no problems other than no new volumes for the past few years.
There are six light novels available for No Game No Life Season 2. That’s fewer books left to adapt for No Game No Life Season 2 than for sequels like Classroom of The Elite Season 2 or One Punch Man Season 3. Even so, the source material will not be a problem.
SUMMARY: No Game No Life Season 2 will not have a shortage of source material. There’s enough for one more season.
No Game No Life Sales & Profit Information
We need to check if the No Game No Life anime adaptation was profitable and how well the series is doing in sales. If the anime failed to make a good profit, there would be no second season and no release date.
We will look at Blu-Ray sales, light novel sales, and merchandise numbers. There is also the movie No Game No Life Zero box office.
That will tell us enough. After that, we will know if the anime made enough profit for No Game No Life Season 2.
- Blu-Ray Sales for No Game No Life Anime – No Game No Life sold around 9,000 copies per Blu-Ray in Japan. This anime series also got a BD-Box that sold 1,000 copies. The Blu-Ray numbers are good for sequel chances.
- Light Novel Sales for No Game No Life – Volume 9 sold around 160,000 copies in Japan, and volume 10 sold about 170,000. This franchise is in the top 5 best-selling light novels by volume.
- Figurines Numbers for No Game No Life – 48 are available for No Game No Life, and most of them are Schwi, Izuna, Stephanie, Jibril, and Shiro. I’m honestly surprised how many figures are still being made for this series, even in 2021.
- Merchandise Numbers for No Game No Life – About 520 items are available. The merchandise number is fantastic, considering that most two-cour anime don’t get that much. It’s usually only around 250 goods for other successful one-cour anime.
- Box Office for the No Game No Life Zero Movie – The box office for No Game No Life Zero was 700,000,000 yen. That’s 6.5 million dollars. The film also sold about 40,000 Blu-Ray copies in Japan. Most anime movies don’t sell anywhere near that many disks, and the box office is also fantastic.
- No Game No Life Streaming – The international rights to this series went to Sentai. No Game No Life also streamed on Crunchyroll, and Hulu, and some other platforms. Streaming wasn’t big in 2014, so No Game No Life didn’t make much money from that.
Blu-Ray sales are fantastic, and the same is true for the movie box office. The Light novels aren’t making any money because of the release speed, but the merchandise and figures are doing great. So the anime adaptation made a profit for Kadokawa and the production committee.
I’m not going to share the rest because they usually don’t make a lot of money.
But there are also other ways the No Game No Life anime made money. The Soundtrack (OST), ending/openings songs, various collaborations, and more.
SUMMARY: Sales and profits won’t be a problem for No Game No Life Season 2. No Game No Life made a lot of money from the anime adaptation and the movie.
Will There Be No Game No Life Season 2
I think No Game No Life season 2 has an excellent chance of getting announced. It won’t shock me if we hear something about No Game No Life Season 2 this year or 2022. I would say the announcement will most likely be in 2022, and it won’t air before 2023.
There is source material now for continuing the anime if that was the problem.
If you ask why it takes so long for a sequel, it’s because anime studios are busy these days, including studio Madhouse. Not to mention it’s hard to gather the same people that made the first season and the movie.
And even if the production committee approved a sequel in 2018-2019 after the movie’s success, it would take a few years to announce No Game No Life Season 2. So I think 2022 is reasonable for us to hear something about a sequel.
NGNL makes a lot of profit for the production committee, and the popularity is still there. That means the only way the series won’t get another season would be because of the source material.
Kadokawa probably doesn’t want to spend money on a series that doesn’t have anything to promote.
I don’t know what health problems the author is suffering from since I read he was recently released from the hospital, but I hope there will be volume 11 published in 2021 or early 2022.
CONCLUSION: I would give No Game No Life a 90% chance of getting announced in the next two years. The only way the second season of no Game No Life won’t get announced is if the light novels will not resume publishing. So we will see if volume 11 will come out.
Are you interested in any other sequels?
Also, don’t forget to share this post with other No Game No Life fans!