Noragami season 3 will not happen unless the anime made a profit and there is enough source material for a third season left. So if there was no profit or material left, then two seasons and four OVAs are all Noragami will have.
So, in this article, we will look at the source material left for the third season. And the profit that the Noragami anime adaptation made. That will tell us if Noragami season 3 will happen and the possible release date.
Noragami season 3 episode 1 is something that many fans have been waiting for since 2015. And after reading this short but in-depth post, it will be clear to people if there will be a Noragami season 3 and the release date.
Noragami Season 3 Source Material Information
For the Noragami anime, the source material is manga. And here is all the information that we need for Noragami Season 3.
It will tell us if there is enough source material for a third season. It’s important because that could prevent the sequel and the release date from happening.
- Is the Noragami Manga finished? – The Noragami manga is still ongoing. The author, Adachitoka, released the latest volume on February 17, 2021.
- How many volumes does Noragami have? – In Japan, Noragami has 23 manga volumes published. There is also a manga collection of short side stories, with two parts released so far.
- What is the release speed of the Noragami manga? – The author wrote only one book in 2017 and 2018. In 2019, it had two new volumes, but in 2020 it was again one book, and 2021 looks the same so far.
- Which manga volumes does the anime of Noragami cover? – The first season of the Noragami anime, by Studio Bones, used volumes 1 to 3. The second season of Noragami used books 4 to 9. The 4 OVA’s adapted chapters 25,24,41 and parts of the spinoff manga.
- How many copies are in print? – I looked for copies of Noragami in print but couldn’t find the number listed anywhere. Anyway, I assume there are at least 5 to 8 million copies in print or more.
The Noragami manga volumes by Kodansha are still getting published. The story has not ended yet, and volume 10 picks up where the anime left off. So there are no problems other than the slow publishing speed.
There are 14 manga volumes available for Noragami Season 3. That’s more books left to adapt for Noragami Season 3 than for sequels like Classroom of The Elite Season 2 or No Game No Life Season 2. As a result, the source material will not be a problem.
SUMMARY: Noragami Season 3 will not have a shortage of source material. There’s more than enough for several more seasons.
Noragami Sales & Profit Information
We need to check if the second season of the Noragami anime was profitable and how well the series is doing in sales. If the anime failed to make a good profit, there would be no third season and no release date.
We will look at Blu-Ray sales, manga sales, and merchandise numbers.
That will tell us enough. After that, we will know if the second season of the anime made enough profit for Noragami Season 3.
- Blu-Ray Sales for Noragami Anime – Noragami season one sold 5,000 copies per Blu-Ray in Japan. The first season also got a BD-Box, which sold about 400 copies. The second season sold only 2,000 copies. The second season had a 60% drop in Blu-Ray sales.
- Manga Sales for Noragami – Volume 22 sold around 48,000 copies in Japan, and volume 23 sold about 45,000. Selling only approximately 50,000 copies after two anime seasons seems low.
- Figurines Numbers for Noragami – Four figures are available for Noragami, all for different characters. Those are Bishamon, Iki Hiyori, Kofuku, and Yato. I honestly needed to double-check this because I couldn’t believe only four are available for this series.
- Merchandise Numbers for Noragami – About 500 items are available. That is a good number. The first and the second season, titled Noragami Aragoto, got plenty of merch. I usually expect 250 goods from a successful one-cour adaptation, so this is as expected.
- Noragami Streaming – The international rights to this series went to Funimation. Noragami also streamed on Hulu and some other platforms. Streaming wasn’t big in 2015, so Noragami didn’t make much money from that.
- Noragami Mobile Game – A mobile game titled Noragami ~Kami to Enishi~ released in 2015. It’s no longer available since it ended its service in late 2016. I can only assume it wasn’t too successful if it lasted only a year.
The second season Blu-Ray sold poorly, and the manga is selling less than half of what it used to. The number of figurines available is also tiny. At the very least, there is plenty of merchandise for Noragami. So the anime adaptation didn’t make much of a profit for Kodansha and the production committee.
I’m not going to share the rest because they usually don’t make a lot of money.
But there are also other ways the Noragami anime made money. The Soundtrack (OST), ending/openings songs, various collaborations, and more.
SUMMARY: Sales and profits will be a problem for Noragami Season 3. The second season of Noragami made a lot less money from the anime adaptation than the first one.
Will There Be Noragami Season 3
I don’t think the chances of Noragami Season 3 are 0%, but it’s close. If we don’t hear anything about a third season in the next two years, then it’s not happening.
I could see Kodansha trying to revive this series next year since they lost some big hits this year.
On the other hand, if Kodansha was planning to revive this series with a third season, then there was the perfect opportunity with the 10th anniversary of the Noragami manga this year.
There was nothing announced about the anime.
Another problem is that the studio that worked on the first two seasons is busy for the next few years. Studio Bones is currently working on My Hero Academia Season 5. They also have a few other projects for 2021 and 2022 already planned.
I doubt they will have time for Noragami Season 3 this or next year.
Also, the manga release speed is still slow. There were two new manga volumes of Noragami released in 2019. But in 2020, it was again just one new volume. The health issues one of the authors has are most likely not something that can get treated quickly.
Final Thoughts On Noragami Season 3 I don’t think the chances of Noragami Season 3 are 0%, but it’s close. If we don’t hear anything about a third season in the next two years, then it’s not happening. It’s sad because I believe that Noragami is popular worldwide, so it would make decent money from streaming.
Are you interested in any other sequels?
If so, then you should look into the anime-continue category. You can find information about many sequels there. Overlord Season 4, Kenja No Mago Season 2, and Goblin Slayer Season 2 are a few examples.
Also, don’t forget to share this post with other Noragami fans!